How will you activate the learner within this week?
Inquirers – Knowledgeable – Thinkers – Communicators – Principled – Open-Minded – Caring – Risk Takers – Balanced – Reflective
“The teacher, the admin, the coach – the individual – has to assume responsibility for his[/her] own learning. The individual path an educator takes to grow professionally must be built by the learner, for himself[/herself], in order to be effective. No two paths will look the same. And that’s a good thing.”
Hilt, Lyn. “A PKM Challenge.” Learning in Technicolor. 19 Feb. 2014.
How do we, as educators, take responsibility for our professional learning in order to be the best we can be for AIS students?
We thoughtfully consider the world and our own ideas and experience. We work to understand our strengths and weaknesses in order to support our learning and personal development. (IBO. IB Learner Profile. Reflective. 2013.)
How are you taking charge of your learning?
Set an objective for your learning this week!
On the AIS Campus
COETAIL. The Certificate of Educational Technology and Information Literacy is coming to the AIS Kuwait campus Fall 2015. COETAIL will challenge you professionally while opening up a network of international educators. Each course will include 3 weeks of online work and 14 hours of face-to-face work with a COETAIL instructor on the AIS campus. Find more details here. #risk-takers
TESOL Kuwait. TESOL Kuwait is a professional organization for anyone involved in teaching non-native speakers of English. This membership organization is devoted to the professional development of its members most of whom are based in Kuwait and the Gulf region. TESOL Kuwait is an official affiliate of TESOL International. #knowledgeable #communicators
- Open Meeting,
May 9DEFERRED until further notice.
- Reshaping English Teaching in an Age of Innovation, TESOL Kuwait 2015 Conference.
Outside of Kuwait
NESA Fall Training Institute. NESA’s weekend training institutes are a fantastic place to spend your professional learning time and money! The Fall Training Institute will take place at the American School of Dubai, UAE November 6 – 7, 2015. NESA’s Training Institute model is a cohort approach where participants choose one offering that will be their focus for the two-day experience. #inquirers
#AISQ8chat. Join us Tuesdays on Twitter for a slow chat when we discuss a wide variety of educational topics. These slow chats include #AISQ8 Twitter members as well as a wide variety of educators from various locations around the globe. How to participate details can be found here. #communicators #risk-takers
Approaches to teaching and learning guide. Did you know that the IB has developed a great online resource to support teaching? It is currently accessible here. #knowledgeable
Atlas webinars. Learn more about what Atlas can do to impact instruction, to support CCSS implementation, or to inform unit development. Some webinars are also available in Arabic. Past webinar titles and access codes can be found here in the AIS Atlas system. #knowledgeable
Coursera. Coursera is an education platform that partners with top universities and organizations worldwide, to offer courses online for anyone to take, for FREE. Dare to be a Courserian! #balanced
- Art and Inquiry: Museum Teaching Strategies for your Classroom, The Museum of Modern Art. (always free and open)
- Calculus One, The Ohio State University. (always free and open)
- The Dynamic Earth: A Course for Educators (May 4 – 31, 2015)
- Foundations of Teaching for Learning 8: Developing Relationships (May 11 – June 22)
- Get Organized: How to be a Together Teacher (always free and open)
- How to Teach Us (always free and open)
- Machine Learning, Stanford University. (always free and open)
- The Music of the Rolling Stones, 1962 – 1974, University of Rochester. (June 5 – July 25, 2015)
Education on Air. Register for a FREE online conference in the comfort of your own space! Learn about Google in Education with other educators in this two-day online experience. Explore the Day 1 (Friday May 8, 17:00 – 22:00 AST) and Day 2 (Saturday May 9, 14:00 – 04:30 AST) conference schedules. #open-minded
Inquiry and Mindset. Inquiry Teaching Practices and Effect of Mindset is a webinar from the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia. In this webinar you will discover how science leader and science teacher mindsets can impact the adoption of more open and authentic forms of inquiry in classroom instruction. #open-minded #inquirers
PYP in Practice. Have a look at the IBO’s new PYP video.
Thinking skills: visible thinking. In this short video from the IB’s Approaches to teaching and learning (BETA) site, we see how visible thinking routines can be used to develop thinking skills. #thinker #reflective
Reading: Articles and blog posts of interest.
- Approaches to Learning. As educators, we understand the value of reflecting on our practice. As IB educators, we continuously strive to help our students learn about how they learn. Hands-Off Teaching Cultivates Metacognition emphasizes the role of metacognition in developing “expert learners” then suggests how to shift the responsibility to think and reflect to students. #thinkers #reflective
- Caring for Students. In this blog post, Adam Pierce makes an important connection between the Approaches to Learning (ATL) skills and how they help us, as educators, to care for our students. #caring
“To care for our students means that we, as educators, should make intentional efforts to teach and embed within our students the skills they need when they move on from our educational institutions.”
- Differentiation. A Starter Kit for Differentiation offers some excellent places to begin and continue to address the variety of learners in your classroom. #knowledgeable
- Getting Students Moving. So much research continues to confirm that there is a link between movement and learning. Some researchers claim that with an increased amount of oxygen in our blood we can experience enhanced learning and memory. This blog post highlights five strategies for using movement to enhance learning in any classroom. Which one will you try this week? #balanced
- Three Ways to Engage Students in Original Thinking. In this Education Update article, New York City writing coach Rose Reissman suggests some specific messages teachers can send to get their students engaged. #thinkers
- Why Stand? Interested in gaining an extra seven minutes per hour of instruction time? What is the connection between standing at a desk and on-task behavior? You could ask the growing number of standing-while-working AIS staff OR you could read this article from THE Journal. #balanced