How will you grow, learn, and inquire this week?
Inquirers – Knowledgeable – Thinkers – Communicators – Principled – Open-Minded – Caring – Risk Takers – Balanced – Reflective
Great inquiry teachers begin with creating great relationships with their kids.
How do we, as educators, take responsibility for our professional growth in order to be the best we can be for AIS students?
We express ourselves confidently and creatively in more than one language and in many ways. We collaborate effectively, listening carefully to the perspectives of other individuals and groups. (IBO. IB Learner Profile. Communicators. 2013.)
How are you taking charge of your learning?
Set an objective for your learning this week!
On the AIS Campus
COETAIL. The Certificate of Educational Technology and Information Literacy is coming to the AIS Kuwait campus in October! COETAIL will challenge you professionally while expanding your network of international educators. Each course will include 3 weeks of online work and 14 hours of face-to-face work with a COETAIL instructor on the AIS campus. Find more details here. #risk-takers #communicators
AIS COETAIL project: Ancient Civilizations. How can the use of technology lead to deeper learning? See one example of how this happened on the AIS campus. COETAIL participants Anna Dawn and Andria Visser share an overview of the grade 3 Ancient Civilizations unit. #risk-takers #reflective
The final project is conducted during Course 5 (Alive in the Classroom: Applied Web 2.0 Technology for Learning). The course focus is on the classroom application, and reflection on the use of web 2.0 technology in the classroom. Participants create a plan for the embedded use of technology to foster learning, share with the group and offer feedback on their cohorts’ embedded use of technology for learning. In addition to redefining learning, Anna and Andria provide an excellent example of collaboration with each other and their entire teaching team!
TESOL Kuwait. TESOL Kuwait is a professional organization for anyone involved in teaching non-native speakers of English. This membership organization is devoted to the professional development of its members most of whom are based in Kuwait and the Gulf region. TESOL Kuwait is an official affiliate of TESOL International. #knowledgeable #communicators
- Reshaping English Teaching in an Age of Innovation, TESOL Kuwait 2015 Conference.
Outside of Kuwait
Eduro Learning. Eduro Learning believes that as technology continues to change both the way we learn and the way we think about learning. The power of relationships are more important than ever. #open-minded #communicators
- Eduro Learning: Leading in a Connected School. September 11 – 12, 2015, NIST International School, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Eduro Learning: Leading in a Connected School. February 11 – 13, 2016, NIST International School, Bangkok, Thailand.
NESA Weekend Training Institutes. NESA’s weekend training institutes are a fantastic place to spend your professional learning time and money! NESA’s Training Institute model is a cohort approach where participants choose one offering that will be their focus for the two-day experience. #inquirers #open-minded
- The Fall Training Institute will take place at the American School of Dubai, UAE November 6 – 7, 2015. NESA is offering nine in-depth, two-day workshops on topics ranging from Math in early childhood through the use of data and “Next Generation Science Standards.”
- The Winter Training Institute will take place at The American International School of Muscat, Oman February 5 – 6, 2016. The WTI will feature some very exciting two-day workshops, including: a special session with Carol Commodore on standards-based assessments in specialist areas (e.g., art, music, drama); “mindfulness”; teaching compassion; and more.
NESA Spring Educators Conference. The Spring Educators Conference is a three-and-a-half-day conference for educators of all grades and disciplines, featuring keynotes, 4-hour workshops and multi-day offerings presented by specialist speakers, general interest sessions, and teacher-presented workshops. The 2016 NESA SEC will take place in Bangkok, Thailand April 1 – 4, 2016. #knowledgeable
Stimulating and Assessing Mathematical Thinking. AERO Common Core Plus Professional Development workshop for teachers of Mathematics, grades 8 – 12 with Erma Anderson. The workshop will focuse on the impact of the Mathematical Practices on daily instruction, and the necessary formative assessment protocols that will result in significant improvement in student learning. Find more details here: AERO Common Core Plus Professional Development Opportunity. Registration is FREE: REGISTRATION AERO CC Plus Math Workshop. #knowledgeable
- #AISQ8chat. Did you know that AIS Kuwait hosts a weekly Twitter chat? Join us Tuesdays on Twitter for a slow chat when we discuss a wide variety of educational topics. These slow chats include #AISQ8 Twitter members as well as a wide variety of educators from various locations around the globe. How to participate details can be found here. Read more about school-wide Twitter chats here. #communicators #risk-takers
- Coursera. Coursera is an education platform that partners with top universities and organizations worldwide, to offer courses online for anyone to take, for FREE. Dare to be a Courserian! #balanced
- Coaching Teachers: Promoting Changes that Stick, Match Teacher (always free and open)
- First Year Teaching (Elementary Grades) – Success from the Start, New Teacher Center (always free and open)
- Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction, University of Virginia (always free and open)
- The Power of Macroeconomics: Economic Principles in the Real World, University of California Irvine (always free and open)
- Eduro Learning. Eduro Learning believes that as technology continues to change both the way we learn and the way we think about learning. The power of relationships are more important than ever. #inquirers #risk-takers
- Cloud-Based Learning. Begins August 31, 2015.
- Coaching: From Theory to Practice. Begins August 31, 2015.
- Coding in the Classroom. Begins October 5, 2015.
- Design Thinking. Begins October 5, 2015.
- Digital Citizenship for Educators. Begins August 31, 2015.
- Gamification of Education. Begins August 31, 2015.
- Mathematics-focused Curriculum and Instruction M.Ed. Concordia University – Portland’s online M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Mathematics is designed for teachers in kindergarten through community college who want to enhance their content knowledge and skills in mathematics in order to increase student learning and understanding of foundational mathematics concepts. Find more details here. #knowledgeable
- Office 365. Become an Office 365 Ninja!
Reading: Articles and blog posts of interest.
- Flexible Classrooms. A collection of resources from edutopia to consider while “providing the learning environment that kids need.” #inquirers #caring
- Coaching Through the Stages of Learning. This infographic offers 3 steps to coach anyone through the stages of learning. #knowledgeable #communicators
- Inquiry-Based Staff Orientation. Only if you’re lucky, will you have recently participated in an amazing orientation to the 2015 – 2016 school year. If you’re a teacher on the #AISQ8 staff, it’s guaranteed! Read this post for a recap in the words of Taryn BondClegg, AIS Kuwait PYP Coordinator. #inquirers #balanced
- Reclaim Your Passion. As you take a break from the daily tasks you do as a professional educator, take a moment to consider the question: What drew me into the teaching profession? In this blog post, Heidi Pierce, AIS Kuwait ES Counselor, reminds us to keep at the forefront the passion that drew us to education in the first place. #reflective
- What Students Leave Unspoken. In this blog post the author reminds us that, “as we work to build trust, and our relationship with the class grows, we’ll find more opportunities to bring unspoken issues to the surface, for we know that they won’t go away on their own.” #caring #open-minded