The Learner Within: Week of September 20, 2015
How will you grow, learn, and inquire this week?
Inquirers – Knowledgeable – Thinkers – Communicators – Principled – Open-Minded – Caring – Risk Takers – Balanced – Reflective
“No matter how many creative ideas you have, you have to do something with them.”
from The Adaptable Mind. Sept. 2015.
How do we, as educators, take responsibility for our professional growth in order to be the best we can be for AIS students?
How are you taking charge of your learning?
Set an objective for your learning this week!
ICF Certification in ADHD Coaching. Are you interested in learning coaching skills to improve your connection to teenagers with ADHD, executive functioning problems and learning issues? Dr. Huda Shaaban and the Learning Difficulties Professional Association (LDPA) will be hosting the 2nd (30 hour) coach training program on Coaching Teens and College Students with ADHD – developed and taught by Jodi Sleeper-Triplett, MCC, SCAC, BCC, the foremost expert in youth coaching and ADHD in the world!
- The course will take place at IBIS Hotel Mondays (October 5, 19; November 2, 9, 16) and Wednesday (November 18) from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- There are 6 hours of self-study included in this course, 3 of which are audio and video clips and 3 hours toward the assignments listed for each video.
- This course does NOT require prior coach training or completion of the Coaching Children with ADHD course we offered in the spring. If you have in mind working toward coaching credentials from ICF, you may start with this course and complete the other 30 hours through the upcoming coach training program.
- For more information and to reserve your seat, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
TESOL Kuwait. TESOL Kuwait is a professional organization for anyone involved in teaching non-native speakers of English. This membership organization is devoted to the professional development of its members most of whom are based in Kuwait and the Gulf region. TESOL Kuwait is an official affiliate of TESOL International. #knowledgeable #communicators
Welcome to Kuwait Resources. The FAWSEC group compiled and shared two documents to help transition to, and explore, life in Kuwait. With the Eid holiday this week, and time to explore, find ideas for discovering some new places in Kuwait.
Outside of Kuwait
AERO Common Core Plus Professional Development Opportunity. Stimulating and Assessing Mathematical Thinking: A Workshop For Teachers of Mathematics Grades 8 – 12 with Erma Anderson. October 9-10, 2015 at The American International School of Muscat (TAISM), Oman. For additional information, please contact Kerry Harder, Curriculum Director, at TAISM: email@example.com
Eduro Learning. Eduro Learning believes that as technology continues to change both the way we learn and the way we think about learning. The power of relationships are more important than ever. #open-minded #communicators
Learning 2 Africa. This second Learning 2 conference in Africa is being hosted by the American International School of Johannesburg. Hundreds of educators from across Africa and beyond will converge on this outstanding school campus to learn from global experts and from each other about the challenges, opportunities and excitement of Learning Without Borders. November 5 – 7, 2015. #risk-takers #communicators
NESA Weekend Training Institutes. NESA’s weekend training institutes are a fantastic place to spend your professional learning time and money! NESA’s Training Institute model is a cohort approach where participants choose one offering that will be their focus for the two-day experience. #inquirers #open-minded
- The Fall Training Institute will take place at the American School of Dubai, UAE November 6 – 7, 2015. NESA is offering nine in-depth, two-day workshops on topics ranging from Math in early childhood through the use of data and “Next Generation Science Standards.”
- The Winter Training Institute will take place at The American International School of Muscat, Oman February 5 – 6, 2016. The WTI will feature some very exciting two-day workshops, including: a special session with Carol Commodore on standards-based assessments in specialist areas (e.g., art, music, drama); “mindfulness”; teaching compassion; and more.
NESA Spring Educators Conference. The Spring Educators Conference is a three-and-a-half-day conference for educators of all grades and disciplines, featuring keynotes, 4-hour workshops and multi-day offerings presented by specialist speakers, general interest sessions, and teacher-presented workshops. The 2016 NESA SEC will take place in Bangkok, Thailand April 1 – 4, 2016. #knowledgeable
- Adaptive Schools. 5-day workshop at NESA SEC 16. Led by Bob Garmston and Carolyn McKanders, request that teachers come in teams or with at least one partner from their school.
- Coursera. Coursera is an education platform that partners with top universities and organizations worldwide, to offer courses online for anyone to take, for FREE. Dare to be a Courserian! #balanced
- Eduro Learning. Eduro Learning believes that as technology continues to change both the way we learn and the way we think about learning. The power of relationships are more important than ever. #inquirers #risk-takers
- EdWeb.net. EdWeb.net is a highly-acclaimed professional social and learning network that has become a vibrant online community for exceptional educators, decision-makers, and influencers who are on the leading edge of innovation in education.
- Meeting the Common Core in the Early Grades. How can the standards, specifically grades K-3, be developmentally appropriate for students? Find out in this downloadable / streamable webinar from August 2015.
- Office 365. Become an Office 365 Ninja!
- Understanding Language. Understanding Language aims to heighten educator awareness of the critical role that language plays in the new Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards. Find FREE Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) Offered by Understanding Language Online in partnership with Stanford Graduate School of Education.
Reading: Articles and blog posts of interest.
- The Adaptable Mind. This 11 minute video explores the skills needed to flourish in the 21st century. #open-minded #balanced
- After the IB diploma. Read one IB graduate’s reflections on how an IB education has served her professionally and allowed her to achieve major career goals. #balanced #reflective
- Culture Literacy, circa 2016. Find out here just what you need to know to be “culturally literate” according to Wired magazine. This collection offers “the ultimate cheat sheet for the worlds of security and government, business, science, design, and culture.” #knowledgeable #inquirers
- The Eternal Expatriate. Find out why many repatriates feel the desire to go back abroad. Even though life as an expatriate has its challenges, many find life as a repatriate equally, if not more, challenging. #reflective
“I feel like I’m doomed to a life of always missing somewhere. Always.”
- Inspire with quotes. 10 Motivational Posters for your Classroom from edutopia. #caring
- Just begin. Some of AIS Kuwait’s very own are beginning their COETAIL journeys this semester! Way to go, Kyle, Lauren, Abby F., Abby M., and Rahila! Check out some of their learning and reflections! #risk-taker #communicator
- Providing Space for Wonder. In this ASCD blog post, the authors state that “as educators, we have a moral obligation to not only allow for our students’ inquisitiveness, but to also foster and support this powerful, often untapped potential.”
- Traditional Grades. Have traditional letter grades had their day? Two teachers share alternative methods of assessment employing feedback for growth. Read more in this article in IB World magazine. #inquirers #principled