Approaching Teaching: Week of November 6, 2016
How will you grow, learn, and inquire this week?
Inquirers – Knowledgeable – Thinkers – Communicators – Principled – Open-Minded – Caring – Risk Takers – Balanced – Reflective
How do we, as educators, take responsibility for our professional growth in order to be the best we can be for AIS students?
We nurture our curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research. We know how to learn independently and with others. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning throughout life. (IBO. IB Learner Profile. Inquirers. 2013.)
How are you taking charge of your learning?
Set an objective for your learning this week!
On the AIS Campus
Become a trained Critical Friends Group® Coach. Grow you knowledge and abilities to support collaboration! In this five-day Critical Friends Group® New Coaches’ Training, participants will learn specific protocols and activities to solve dilemmas, look at student work, improve their own work, and more! Those who complete the training will become certified coach-members of the NSRF, and will have learned to create equity in collaboration, increase efficient, effective communication, and enhance personal performance through reflective practice. A Critical Friends Group® promotes Collaboration for Growth. To learn more about CFG® work and this training, visit the NSRF Harmony or contact the facilitator, Christina Botbyl. #communicators #inquirers
Mini-PEAK. On Saturday, November 12 from 10:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. come enjoy free professional learning provided by your AIS Kuwait colleagues. There will be three sessions offered. All participants will receive a participation certificate. There will be snacks! 🙂 #knowledgeable
PEAK. The Professional Educators Around Kuwait conference will take place on December 3, 2016 on the Kuwait Bilingual School campus. Check out the PEAK website for further details! #inquirers
Outside of Kuwait
Fall 2016 – Winter/Spring 2017
NESA Weekend Training Institutes 2016 – 2017. NESA‘s weekend training institutes are a fantastic place to spend your professional learning time and money! NESA’s Training Institute model is a cohort approach where participants choose one offering that will be their focus for the two-day experience. #inquirers #open-minded
- The Winter Training Institute will take place at Riffa Views International School, Bahrain, January 20 – 21, 2017. The WTI is set to feature two-day workshops, including: Assessment in MS/HS Social Studies, Digital Pedagogy (with John Burns), Mindfulness, Math Coaching, NGSS Team Facilitation, and more to come.
- The Spring Educator’s Conference will take place in Bangkok, Thailand, March 31 – April 2, 2017.
- The Innovator’s Mindset. Great teachers have been “innovators” long before any of the current technologies existed in our world. It was always about doing something better with what was available, to help kids. In this workshop, George Couros will discuss the idea and characteristics of the “Innovator’s Mindset”, and how they can make a significant impact on the learning of ourselves and ultimately our students. May 19 – 20, 2017. Bangkok, Thailand. Learn more. #knowledgeable #inquirers
- Leading Innovative Change. Although schools are moving forward, change is always something that many struggle with. Focusing on an innovator’s mindset and our “why”, this workshop, led by George Couros, is meant for leaders to help others within their organization not only accept change, but embrace it, to create better powerful learning opportunities for our learners. May 17 – 18, 2017. Bangkok, Thailand. Learn more. #knowledgeable #inquirers
- #chat. Catch up the following Twitter slow chat topics by reviewing in Storify. #communicators #risk-takers
- Developing Empathy in the Classroom. Building Student Engagement through Empathy, Characterization, and Creative Dramatics. A Three Day Weekend Workshop at Cairo American College, November 10 – 12, 2016. By Jillian Campana, Ph.D. Find details here. Register here.
- Daily 5 and Math Daily 3. Launching Daily 5® and CAFE® and Launching Math Daily 3® are 3 credit, online graduate level courses offered through Upper Iowa University. These are online courses that will last eight weeks offered in both October and January. Find more information here. #knowledgeable
Reading: Articles and blog posts of interest
- #AISQ8 on-site IBO training. Check out the archive of learning shared via Twitter during the #AISQ8 Whole School IB Professional Development. #inquirers
- Literacy Through Photography. In this edutopia blog post, learn 5 photo-based strategies for engaging students in literacy. These strategies support literacy standards while differentiating to meet students (ELLs, for example) where they are. #communicators
- Nine Podcasts for a Fuller Life. Podcasts have emerged as a storytelling modality capable of particular enchantment Enjoy this short playlist of intellectual, creative, and spiritual invigoration. #inquirers #knowledgeable
- NSRF Connections. Read the current edition of NSRF Connections. Inside you’ll find these articles: Mindset theory: why so many people LOVE their Critical Friends Group communities, Scaffolding deep thinking in seventh graders, Core qualities of CFG work, and part two of the two-part series, Building collaborative communities: By teachers, for teachers. #inquirers #communicators
- Technology Hoax Fallacies. Explore the logical fallacies one blogger identifies in Time magazine’s “Technology Hoax” article. #knowledgeable
Technology, as with any other tool used for learning, can be helpful or detrimental depending on how it is used, the purpose, and the connection to what’s happening inside our brain!