Approaching Teaching: Week of November 27, 2016
How will you grow, learn, and inquire this week?
Inquirers – Knowledgeable – Thinkers – Communicators – Principled – Open-Minded – Caring – Risk Takers – Balanced – Reflective
How do we, as educators, take responsibility for our professional growth in order to be the best we can be for AIS students?
We show empathy, compassion and respect. We have a commitment to service, and we act to make a positive difference in the lives of others and the world around us. (IBO. IB Learner Profile. Caring. 2013.)
How are you taking charge of your learning?
Set an objective for your learning this week!
PEAK. The Professional Educators Around Kuwait conference will take place this Saturday, December 3, 2016 on the Kuwait Bilingual School campus. Check out the PEAK website for further details! #inquirers
Outside of Kuwait
- NESA Winter Training Institute. The Winter Training Institute will take place at Riffa Views International School, Bahrain, January 20 – 21, 2017. The WTI is set to feature two-day workshops, including: Assessment in MS/HS Social Studies, Digital Pedagogy (with John Burns), Mindfulness, Math Coaching, NGSS Team Facilitation, and more to come. NESA‘s weekend training institutes are a fantastic place to spend your professional learning time and money! NESA’s Training Institute model is a cohort approach where participants choose one offering that will be their focus for the two-day experience. #inquirers #open-minded
- Developing Confident Talking in Early Years. Many children are confident talkers at home, but may need extra support to join in with groups in school. These children may be ‘reluctant talkers’ due to shyness, high sensitivity, introversion or in some extreme cases, selective mutism. Children learning a second language or with additional learning needs also need support to fully participate in groups, to develop friendships, and to promote optimum learning. This course explores reasons for children becoming ‘reluctant talkers’ in early years settings, and looks at practical strategies, approaches and activities that will benefit all young children’s language development and learning. February 24 – 25, 2017 in Bangkok, Thailand. Find more details here. #communicators
- Designing Proficiency Based and Differentiated World Language Classrooms. The reality of many world-language classrooms in international schools is that there is a range of students with differing ‘levels’ of language knowledge and skills if not at the beginning of the school year certainly by the end. This workshop sets the stage for designing learning experiences to develop varying levels amongst all students through the principles of proficiency-based and differentiated language instruction. March 6 – 8, 2017 in Chang Mia, Thailand. Find more details here. #communicators
- Teacher Skills Forum 2017. The 2017 Teacher Skills Forum intends to examine the process of deconstructing learning targets and re-constructing clear and understandable learning goals to enrich the quality of teaching/learning experiences in the classroom. Registration for the Teacher Skills Forum 2017 is now open. Register before December 31st and enjoy huge savings on our Early Bird Rates. March 25 & 26, 2017 at the Dead Sea, Jordan King Hussein bin Talal Convention Centre. #knowledgeable
Professional Learning Weekend. Cairo American College (CAC) teachers would like to share their insights and teaching models with other international school teachers in the region in order to better support teacher understanding and student learning. We are hosting a professional learning weekend from March 25 – 27, 2017. Register here. Teachers have an opportunity to participate in a Lab Site process to learn about one of these three teaching models used at CAC:
- Reading and writing. Reading and Writing Workshops in the Elementary School
- Mathematics. Challenge by Choice curriculum in the Middle School
- Multiple subjects. Harkness-style student-centered discussions in the High School
- NESA Spring Educators Conference 2017. The Spring Educator’s Conference will take place in Bangkok, Thailand, March 31 – April 2, 2017. #inquirers
- The Innovator’s Mindset. Great teachers have been “innovators” long before any of the current technologies existed in our world. It was always about doing something better with what was available, to help kids. In this workshop, George Couros will discuss the idea and characteristics of the “Innovator’s Mindset”, and how they can make a significant impact on the learning of ourselves and ultimately our students. May 19 – 20, 2017. Bangkok, Thailand. Learn more. #knowledgeable #inquirers
- Leading Innovative Change. Although schools are moving forward, change is always something that many struggle with. Focusing on an innovator’s mindset and our “why”, this workshop, led by George Couros, is meant for leaders to help others within their organization not only accept change, but embrace it, to create better powerful learning opportunities for our learners. May 17 – 18, 2017. Bangkok, Thailand. Learn more. #knowledgeable #inquirers
- Coursera. Coursera is an education platform that partners with top universities and organizations worldwide, to offer courses online for anyone to take, many for FREE. Dare to be a Courserian! #balanced
- Daily 5 and Math Daily 3. Launching Daily 5® and CAFE® and Launching Math Daily 3® are 3 credit, online graduate level courses offered through Upper Iowa University. These are online courses that will last eight weeks offered in both October and January. Find more information here. #knowledgeable
- Online Master’s Degree. Earn a Master’s degree in the Art & Science of Teaching online. Developed by Dr. Robert Marzano, this content-rich program draws on 40 years of research. It includes study guides, activities, and immediate, real-world classroom application that will broaden your skill sets and deepen your knowledge of educational practices. Created for K-12 teachers, this online program gives you the flexibility to learn when it’s most convenient for you. And the best part? You can earn your degree in as little as 24 months. Registration for Spring I, 2017 session is opens. To learn more about the programs offered by the National Institute for Professional Practice, visit their website. #knowledgeable
Reading: Articles and blog posts of interest
- BookSnaps. Have you heard about using #BookSnaps to increase interaction with a book study? Check out the details for a productive way to use Snapchat in education. #open-minded
- Classroom Environment and Behavior. Change your classroom environment and you can change your students’ behavior. Read more here. about how you can change the classroom environment to promote a desired behavior. #caring
- Differentiate Reading. This blog post demonstrates how to make a challenging text simpler for your readers! Rewordify allows the user to simplify the wording of a text for improved comprehension, learn new vocabulary, design engaging lessons, track reading statistics and progress. #knowledgeable
- Formative Assessment. Read this blog post about one teacher’s experience with working one-on-one with students by observing them solve subtraction problems. #reflective
- Guided Inquiry Design. This blog post outlines the process used by a a team of librarians to implement Guided Inquiry to inform the research process. #inquirers
- Mathematical Habits of Mind. It’s the mathematical habits of mind, or modes of thought, that enable us to reason about the world from a quantitative and spatial perspective, and to reason about math content that empowers us to use our mathematical knowledge and skills to make sense of and solve problems. It’s these habits that separate the “experienced” from the “inexperienced” problem solver. Read more here. #balanced
- When Tech is the Problem Child. In this New York Times article, the author shares what he learned by asking parents about how they deal with their children and technology: homework, passwords, bedtime and punishments. The responses that he received from more than 60 families, have already changed how tech is managed in his house. #knowledgeable