How will you grow, learn, and inquire this week?
Inquirers – Knowledgeable – Thinkers – Communicators – Principled – Open-Minded – Caring – Risk Takers – Balanced – Reflective
How do we, as educators, take responsibility for our professional growth in order to be the best educators for AIS students?
We approach uncertainty with forethought and determination; we work independently and cooperatively to explore new ideas and innovative strategies. We are resourceful and resilient in the face of challenges and change.
(IBO. IB Learner Profile. Risk-Takers. 2013.)
How are you taking charge of your learning?
Set objectives for your learning!
On the AIS campus
February 1, 2018
- World Read Aloud Day. Why #WorldReadAloudDay? We think everyone in the world should get to read and write. Every year, on World Read Aloud Day, people all around the globe read aloud together and share stories to advocate for literacy as a human right that belongs to all people. Find out more here about why that’s important. #caring
Outside of Kuwait
- IB PYP. Discover the 2018 PD Workshop Calendar here. #knowledgeable
- COETAIL. Certificate of Educational Technology and Information Literacy (COETAIL) is a 5-course certificate program designed by, and for, educators. Grounded in the ISTE Standards and following a cohort model, COETAILers become “empowered professionals” and “learning catalystes” in an authentic, practical, project-based learning environment. The next online cohort begins February 5. Find more information here. #balanced
- ASB Unplugged. Come to the sixth ASB Un-Plugged 2018 to engage in developing and articulating a vision for learning. Bring a team from your school to be inspired and to learn about best practices that will help you steer an intentional course. ASB Un-Plugged is a learning opportunity for audiences ranging from classroom teachers to technology directors and coordinators, from principals, superintendents and business managers to tech support teams. ASB Un-Plugged happens at the American School of Bombay, Mumbai, India, February 22 – 24, 2018. #inquirers
- NESA Spring Educators Conference. The NESA SEC will take place in Athens, Greece March 30 – April 1. Current topics scheduled can be found here. #inquirers
- Teacher Skills Forum. The Teacher Skills Forum is an annual regional event organized by the Queen Rania Teacher Academy (QRTA) in partnership with the International Baccalaureate (IB) to provide teachers from the Arab world with modern and creative strategies and innovative teaching techniques. It is a platform for teachers to explore, learn, and share experiences with some of the world’s most renowned educators and scholars. March 3 – 4, 2018 at the Convention Center at the Dead Sea, Jordan. Find further information here. #knowledgeable
- PTC 2-Day Opportunities. The PTC serves the unique professional development needs of practicing and aspiring principals, teachers, counselors and school business leaders in international schools worldwide. We strive to provide world class, research-driven practical training, designed to be put into practice in the international school setting. #inquirers
- Creating Cultures of Thinking. The CoT initiative considers education to be a social and cultural endeavor whose goal is the development of both the individual and the group as effective learners and thinkers able to engage with and adapt to a changing world. Participate in this visible thinking workshop with Dr. Ron Ritchart (a Principal Investigator and Senior Research Associate at Project Zero, Harvard Graduate School of Education). Find more details here about this opportunity in Chiang Mia, Thailand, April 25 – 28. #inquirers
- Teaching and Learning Mathematics Through an Inquiry Approach. This workshop is designed to empower teachers to apply the principles and practice of inquiry to the discipline of Mathematics, through exploring Mathematical skills and concepts. May 3 – 5 in Bangkok, Thailand. Find more information here. #inquirers
- PTC Summer 2018 Schedules. The PTC serves the unique professional development needs of practicing and aspiring principals, teachers, counselors and school business leaders in international schools worldwide. We strive to provide world class, research-driven practical training, designed to be put into practice in the international school setting. #inquirers
- Counselor Training Center
- Principals’ Training Center
- Teaching EAL in the Mainstream
- Introducing in 2018…the International Certificate of English as an Additional Language (EAL). TTC teams up with renowned EAL specialist Gini Rojas to bring you a unique blended learning certificate program for international school classroom teachers and EAL specialists!
- Master’s in School Counseling Online. USC Rossier School of Education offers an online Master of Education (ME) in School Counseling that prepares practitioners to make a real difference in K-12 learning environments. The curriculum, which was created by USC faculty who are experts in their fields, focuses on three key areas affecting today’s schools: college and career readiness, restorative justice and trauma informed practices. Request information here. #caring
- Mathematics Illuminated. Mathematics Illuminated is a thirteen-part series for adult learners and high school teachers. The series explores major themes in the field of mathematics, from humankind’s earliest study of prime numbers, to the cutting-edge mathematics used to reveal the shape of the universe. This free online, self-paced learning opportunity is offered by Annenberg Learner. #knowledgeable
- Cyberbullying Prevention in the Screen Age. This webinar will provide an overview of cyberbullying and discuss how it is intertwined with regular bullying. It will outline important steps for teaching digital citizenship and how parents can be encouraged to provide closer supervision of their children’s technology. On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:00 PM (Thursday, January 25, 12:00 AM AST). Register here. #principled
- PTC Teacher Training Center. Introducing in 2018…the International Certificate of English as an Additional Language (EAL). TTC teams up with renowned EAL specialist Gini Rojas to bring you a unique blended learning certificate program for international school classroom teachers and EAL specialists! #communicators
Reading: Articles, blog posts, and podcasts of interest
- Authenticity. The MYP Personal Project provides an opportunity for students to choose something that interests them, grapple with informational sources, and to interact with the community to showcase their hard work. The skills from this project are highly transferable, from Global 10 to everyday adult life! Read here how on IB Continuum school engages students in authentic learning. #caring
- Educational Games. One of MindShift‘s most-read posts was about educational games highlights consumer-oriented games that are truly educational for modern times. Whether it’s “Never Alone“, which was co-developed with native Alaskans, “Valiant Hearts“, which helps players empathize with the those who suffer through war, or Elegy for a Dead World where the player visits alien planets (each inspired by a Romantic poet ) with long lost civilizations and must act as the storyteller of that world. Read more here. #thinkers
- Feedback in Screencasts. We all know that feedback we give to our students should give them direction. A grade gives them an idea of their location toward a standard or expectation, and the feedback should give specific directions for how to improve their work. Explore how screencasts could improve the feedback provided to students in this blog post. #communicators
- Instructional Coaching. This blog post explores the pros and cons of which colleagues can/should serve as instructional coaching support for teachers. #principled
Coaching is a vehicle for learning. When we are learning things can get messy. Ideally, when working with a coach, we can completely let our guards down, we can be vulnerable and say every messy thing on our minds, we can confess our biggest fears and blunders, because we know this: our coach has only our best interests at heart, our coach believes in us always, our coach does not hold judgment—ever.
- Your Teaching Shadow. As teachers, our mindset plays a vital role on the impact we have on students. If you pay close attention to where your teaching shadow lies, you will be able to determine where your true perspective resides. If you choose to walk away from the light, your shadow will be cast in front of you. If you choose to walk toward the light, your shadow will be cast behind you. Where does YOUR shadow lie? Listen to this 11 minute podcast here. #reflective
Nobody has it all figured out, and those that think they do are most likely the most lost of all.